Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Conscious Human Formation

I have been investing--consciously--in "personal/leadership growth" for about 8 or 9 years. And it has paid dividends.

This morning, I found a link to a "Strengths Tip" in my email inbox:
You are inspired by extremely talented people. It doesn't really matter what the group's expertise is. What's invigorating for you is hearing the discussions, listening to the different viewpoints of these "masters." Listen long enough and you will almost certainly come up with a new mission, a new possibility. Try this: make a point to find at least two groups of experts in which you can play a leadership or organizing role.
A similar tip on the website said that this strength helps others feel bigger because of the ideas or people with which people like me will connect to or provide them.

Reading this reminded me of how much I appreciated being formed as a human being: unique, skilled, and part of a larger community. And, the more you and I each play our parts well, the better off we all are.

So, I rounded up a few other reminders from self-assessments and suggestions I have received, read or realized over the years into a Word document on my desktop. I called it, "My Strengths." Here, I hope to capture little things that are "me" over time. And, when I add to it, I will be reminded to review it.

How do you feed your own formation as a person? Maybe a Word document is a start.

Image source