Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Where are the voices?


A few weeks ago, Washington DC Archbishop, Donald Cardinal Wuerl spoke movingly to thousands gathered in the Basilica about the intolerable circumstances in Iraq and Syria.

The Cardinal talked about how we look back at history and wonder how on earth such terrible things could have happened. “They occur for two reasons,” said Wuerl. “They occur because there are those who are prepared to commit them, and there are those who remain silent.”

Was I a part of one of these two reasons?

I had been praying for those struggling and for those perpetrating the violent acts. But had I raised my voice?

“We simply cannot in conscience ignore” what is happening, “to women, children and men,” continued Cardinal Wuerl. The DC prelate spoke because he did not want to have this silence in the face of evil on his conscience.

After watching that video and hearing his message, neither did I.

So, I swallowed hard and called my representatives, stumbling as I tried to figure out how to tell each office why I was calling.

Today, I ask you to consider doing the same.

For those in Gibson County, Indiana, Senator Coats can be reached at (202) 224-5623. Senator Donnelly can be reached at (202) 224-4814. Representative Bucshon can be reached at (202) 225-4636. If you live outside of Gibson County or Indiana, click on the following to find your congressmen and senators.

All you need to say is, “I’m calling to ask that you do as much as you can to help those being persecuted in Iraq and Syria right now.” If you’re nervous about how to navigate the call, try calling after office hours and just leave a message with your name, address and this one phrase about doing something to help those suffering because of ISIS. Or, maybe reading the statement from the President of the US Bishops could help.

Millions of Americans tuned in last week to hear what the United States was going to do in response to the atrocities being carried out in Iraq and Syria, including the systematic torture and killing of thousands of innocent people.

When I listened to the president’s message, I was a little relieved. It was good to hear that our country will do what it can to stand up for the dignity of people in those persecuted places. I almost felt as if I was off the hook.

Almost.

When Mass ends, we are told to “GO!” Go and live out the truth of love in the world. Sometimes that means doing hard things.



Consider sharing this with others as a way to raise your voice, to do something about the crimes being committed. 

Originally published in The South Gibson Star Times